First Mennonite Church began in the 1920s by Mennonites of German descent primarily as an urban congregation for Mennonite women working in Saskatoon. Reverend J.J. Thiessen gave leadership to this work. In 1936, the congregation built their first church building on 4th Avenue, but relocated to its present location at 418 Queen Street in 1956. Over the years, First Mennonite Church helped to establish other Mennonite congregations in the city.
First Mennonite Church is a congregation rooted in the Anabaptist faith tradition and is a member of Mennonite Church Saskatchewan and Mennonite Church Canada. First Mennonite Church is an active supporter of Mennonite Central Committee.
Our beliefs and practices are broadly reflected in the Mennonite Confession of Faith. We share with other Mennonites the following vision:
God calls us to be followers of Jesus Christ
and, by the power of the Holy Spirit
to grow as communities of grace, joy and peace
so that God’s healing and hope
flow through us to the world.
First Mennonite Church is an active member of the Saskatoon Inner City Council of Churches.